Monday, July 5, 2010

How to teach a child how to fly







Well, I’ve had my first week here in Ecuador and I’ve seen some crazy things. I´ve been inspired with hope and reason. I´m not sure if I can change the world, but I can at least try. Today was a special day. While we were in the community helping the poor I found myself surrounded by children. I had a reason, a way, and I was bound to teach them something, and I did. Being the crazy person I am, I decided to tell them that I could fly, and with an example, they soon also wanted to fly, so I taught them. As we jumped off of our dirt mound time and time again we shared laughs, and I thought, is this how I ascend? Is this how we ascend? I hope so. .

Flying, in this sense, is a metaphor. Realistically, my goal here is to empower those in need to save their children and ascend out of poverty (empoderar a los mas necesitados salvar a sus niños y salir de la pobreza).

Its not really about me, its more about Ascend. More so about the work we are doing. For example we are almost finished with a remodeling project of a bathroom for the kids at the school. There's a lot more we can do, but for now, we're doing the best we can. I hope that with time we can make a change in these peoples lives. I know we probably have, but there is always more help that is needed.

Anyways, Ill keep it brief, I have work to do, people to help, a world to change.

Goodbye for now, here´s hoping we can meet again.

With Love,

Drew

www.ascendalliance.org

No comments: