Friday, June 5, 2009

Hello, My Name is Roberto


As Mark's 1975 Datsun pickup chattered through the cobblestone streets of old colonial Cuenca, the vibrations eased the retention bolt out of the shifting linkage, rendering the gear lever useless. It was two-thirty in the morning on a Tuesday, and we were stuck in second gear.

Tyler was hard to miss when we finally reached the deserted bus station. He towers above most people in Ecuador–myself included–and his american clothes and cumbersome bags left us with little doubt that this was our new intern. We heaved his luggage into the truck bed, squeezed into the cab and headed back to Ascend Headquarters.


We were both glad to be two interns strong when we arrived in the small hillside village of San Vicente the following morning to begin teaching English classes. Unsure of what to expect, I had prepared rough curricula for two different age groups, 4-6 graders/anyone younger, and brought some basic materials.

Tyler went off with the "wawas" (affectionate name given to youngsters in Ecuador) and I took charge of the older kids. I was nervous; I have minimal teaching experience and even after hours of reading "ESL for Children" resources online I wasn't sure how to begin; how to connect with the pupils. My gut told to just be myself and let things happen.


It worked. Not necessarily on my behalf; the children demonstrated a pure love for learning, especially English. Perhaps they were excited to escape their everyday teacher and see a different face in front of their chalkboard, or maybe deep inside they realize that English could be their gateway to a new and exciting world...I'm hoping that it is a combination of both. Anyhow, Tyler fittingly commented, and I concurred, that neither of us could remember ever being so excited inside a classroom when we ourselves were wawas.

For now the English classes will take place weekly in the Quingeo villages of San Vicente and Yanallpa, continuing for the rest of the summer. The scholastic year ends earlier in the nearby village of Allpacruz, but Ascend is communicating with the professor, and if we can garner enough interest we will begin weekly summer English classes there as well. The preparedness and zeal that I have seen in all of the local students leaves me optimistic that we'll soon be teaching in Allpacruz as well.


Stay tuned for updates on our first annual Ascend Gala here in Cuenca and our self-sufficient farm projects in Quingeo. Peace.

San Vicente/Yanallpa, Quingeo, Ecuador. May 2009. (Photos: Caleb Braley)

No comments: